Friday, September 15, 2017

Chicken and Leek Pie

     Why does English cooking generally get such a bad rap? A lot of people say, when I mention English food, "But it's so bland, so boring, so blah!" I do not find it so, but maybe it has to do more with the particular cook, rather than the cuisine itself. It's also possible that it was so much parr of my upbringing that I don't notice. My Dad's side of the family was English. My Mom's side of the family was Finnish. They both grew up in Iowa and Minnesota on farms and very small towns. I grew up in Minnesota, surrounded by English, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, German, and Polish folk. Spices and herbs were not used much when I was growing up - spicy meant there was a lot of pepper and salt! My Mom would use paprika to help color fried chicken or roast turkey or to make deviled eggs, potato salad, and mashed potatoes company-worthy fancy. It was years before I realized paprika comes in several distinctive flavor.
     My daughter's mother-in-law is British, and though she has lived in the States for many many years, she definite still cooks in an English style. This is especially true for special occasion and holiday dinners where I expect roast beef or lamb, Brussels sprouts, glazed carrots, baby peas, green beans, Yorkshire pudding, and so on.The other nigh, she made a delicious chicken pot pie with leeks and potatoes. It's one of those dishes that doesn't have an actual recipe (at least Pamela doesn't cook from one) but she's willing to share the ingredients that she put in it. Here's a photo to get your mouth watering:
Chicken Leek Pie
     In the photo, you'll notice her little blackbird right in the middle of the pie. This little cutie is there to let out steam from the inside of the pie. They're fun to use, but if you don't have one, simply cut a small hole (about the size of a dime) in the center of the crust, and make 3 - 4 slashes on top of the crust as well This all ensure that your crust stays flaky and doesn't get soggy from the steamy, bubbly inside of the pie while it's baking.
     The crust can be from your own favorite recipe or it can be bought frozen or refrigerated and prepared. As long as it is buttery, flaky, and light, it will be delicious. In a large bowl, she combined cooked chopped chicken (use some dark meat to add flavor and juiciness to white meat), mashed potatoes (mashed with butter and cream), cleaned, steamed leeks cut into bite sized pieces. A little leftover chicken gravy, or if you don't have any, make a medium white sauce - just enough to stick everything together. Salt and pepper completes her list. If I have anything else, such as green beans, broccoli, carrots, celery, those are nice additions and adds color, texture, and flavor. This is a very forgiving dish in terms of ingredients. I also tend to use white pepper instead of black pepper, and I might be tempted to ass some fresh thyme and/or sage. But these are my preferences - be sure to use what you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment